Balisage: The Markup Conference
Papers will be published in the proceedings of the
conference. Talks, based on the accepted papers, will 30
minutes long, followed by 15 minutes for questions.
Please read and observe all the following instructions.
If you have difficulty
understanding or following these guidelines, let us know and
we will do our best to address your needs.
The Deal - Summarized
- Submissions must be:
- Full papers or very extensive draft papers
(Note: Authors or groups that have presented at previous Balisage events and have not provided full papers on time must provide full papers for peer review. These preliminary versions of their papers will be published in the conference proceedings if the submission is accepted and a revised paper reflecting the peer reviewer comments is not received on time.)
- In XML, according to the Balisage tag set (a subset of DocBook V5 available in DTD, XSD, and RNG formats)
- All new material (or previously presented only at small, local events; not previously published)
- Received by 22 April 2016
- Accepted speakers are expected to:
- Provide a complete paper
- In XML using the conference vocabulary
- On or before 8 July 2016
- Revised from the initial submission, taking into consideration the comments and suggestions of the peer reviewers
- One or more of the authors of the paper are expected to:
- Present a 30 minute talk, in English, based on the paper at Balisage 2013
- Answer questions, in English, about the paper after the presentation
- Attend and participate in the entire conference
- Pay the speaker registration fee (see Registration Forms)
- All authors must sign the Balisage Non-exclusive Publication Agreement
- Balisage will:
- Peer review all reasonable submissions (described on the Peer Review page)
- Tell authors if their submissions have been accepted on or about May 21, 2016
- Publish all accepted papers in the online conference proceedings
- Provide a discounted registration fee for all of the authors of
the paper who attend the conference (see Registration Forms)
- Publish speaker's on-site materials (e.g., slides) in the conference proceedings after the conference
All papers must be prepared in XML using the Balisage
Tag Set (which is a small subset of DocBook V5) and submitted using the file naming conventions described in the Instructions for Authors.
We must receive your submission by 22 April 2016.
Especially if your paper contains complex formatting
requirements (many graphics, unusual characters, large tables,
equations) or if you are not experienced creating prose documents
in XML we urge you to get the paper to us as soon as
possible. We will notify chosen speakers and provide peer
comments by 21 May 2016. Final papers will be due 8 July
All presenters at Balisage 2016 will be required to sign the Nonexclusive Publication Agreement & License, which is available for review at:
Instructions On Draft Paper Submission
Draft papers should be detailed enough to allow peer
reviewers to judge the relevance of the topic, the interest of
the results, and the quality and technical merit of
presentation. No less than in final versions, bibliographic
references to relevant work should be provided; claims that
there is no relevant published work may be cause for
skepticism from peer reviewers.
If the peer reviewers find that your draft paper has
insufficient detail to evaluate your presentation, there will
not be time for you revise your submission before the end of
the peer review period. In other words: if you don't send in a
paper with enough substance to be evaluated, your submission
will not be accepted, however exciting may be its supposed findings.
Authors of Balisage papers, especially those who have not participated in
Balisage before, may be interested in descriptions of the Balisage Peer Revew
and Paper Selection processes.
If you have any questions on any of the above, or any problem
creating your paper, please send email or
call Debbie Lapeyre (+1 301/315-9633) or Tommie Usdin (+1
Please help us make Balisage: The Markup Conference exciting and lively. See you in Bethesda, MD (just outside Washington, DC)!
C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
B. Tommie Usdin